At Trinity Lutheran College there are a number of related measures that support student’s personal growth and wellbeing which we see as fundamental to successful learning.
This includes Spiritual Life instruction, our Valuing Community Policy that outlines the rights and responsibilities of all members of our community (students, staff and parents), our age-specific Child Safety Programs, The Rite Journey and our various pastoral care initiatives.
Our social and emotional wellbeing program also encompasses six key themes of IB education and teaches children to develop the skills they need to be successful and happy in life. Through age-appropriate strategies children learn about attributes such as persistence, resilience, confidence, organisation, reflection and being open minded.
In our experience, children and young people who are happy, confident and able to establish meaningful relationships are better placed to achieve positive learning outcomes.
A culture of wellbeing in our College promotes:
- a positive sense of self in relationship with God and others
- a sense of optimism and confidence in one’s ability to influence the world for the common good
- structures, policies, procedures and initiatives, which are reflective of a school’s vision and mission and supported through effective leadership
- fostering of parent and community partnerships to maximise student outcomes
- empowerment of the school community to get the most out of student learning
- teaching and learning that provides rich and meaningful opportunities to enhance student engagement, connectedness and belonging
- the belief that wellbeing is integral rather than incidental to learning, and the development of social and emotional learning skills which enable students to flourish.
Our full-time student wellbeing coordinator is a trained counsellor and provides valuable support one-on-one and in small groups for our students. As well as offering a listening ear and helping students with any concerns that may arise, the student wellbeing coordinator supports the whole college community by connecting with parents and teachers and running programs that target the needs of the children including coping with grief and loss and developing social skills.
Tuning into Kids and Tuning into Teens are two popular parent programs that are offered for Trinity parents to participate in each year. These programs focus on helping parents to understand the stages their child will go through and what strategies they can put into place to enhance positive relationships with their child and for their family.